About Your Chess Rating
How to get a chess rating and what it means:
- you play in a USCF rated tournament, the TD (tournament director) submits the results to USCF, then USCF calculates your rating based on your performance
- you must play 25 rated tournament games to get a regular rating, or in other words, get out of a “provisional” status – this is indicated by the “P” shown on USCF website next to your rating score when you first start out
- provisional ratings fluctuate a lot, don’t worry about what it is!
- want to get a higher rating? practice practice practice and figure out what you could have done better in your games; play against stronger opponents and win!
- look up your rating here on the USCF website
USCF Rating Classes:
|Senior Master||2400 and up|
|Expert (Candidate Master)||2000–2199|
Fide Title Regulations: http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=174&view=article